For many parents this will be the first time that a member of their family will be involved with the Perry Lakes Hawks and this level of basketball. It is very important that ALL parents support not only their child, but all of the players as well as the team and the coach. The experience will cost you some time, money, patience and understanding, but should be quite rewarding. We thank all our parents and appreciate the time, money and effort you put in so that your child can play representative basketball.
Your support is needed in the following areas:
- Getting your child to training regularly and on time.
- Getting your child to the game well before game time, properly dressed and fresh to play.
- All parents are expected to help with score duties over the season.
- Helping to get other team members to the game if required.
- Encouraging and supporting your son/daughter and the team in games.
- If your child is injured, has contracted an illness, or will be absent from training for any other reason, the coach and manager is to be advised
- Recognise the value and importance of volunteer coaches. They give their time and knowledge and deserve your respect and support – don’t be a knocker.
- Cheering and clapping loudly all good plays.
- Encourage your child to play within the rules and accept the referee’s decision.
- If you disagree with a coach, raise the issue at an appropriate time; preferably before or after training – not during or immediately after the game.
- Support club decisions.
- Refrain from discussion anything negative about your team in front of your children-keep it positive.
- Be vocal in your support of our teams but refrain from making negative comments about the opposition, referees or other team members.
- Make sure that you have read the PLHBA Handbook in full including the Zero Tolerance Policy and Social Media Policy and that your children are familiar with both.
Parent Enquiry Procedure
There may be decisions that a coach or the PLHBA make that you do not understand or agree with. Appropriate communication is critical to make sure that issues are addressed. If you need to address an issue:
- Discuss the matter with the coach in private. Do not approach them in front of players or Supporters.
- Consider doing it the following day, not during or immediately after a game or training.
- If the issue is not resolved contact the WABL director via email or using the feedback form on the website.
- If it is an issue of a serious nature that negatively affects the PLHBA WABL program please inform the Coach and WABL director in writing.